My Favorite Newborn and Postpartum Products So Far
As I watch my daughter in her swing, swaying back and forth, sleeping peacefully, a small smirk appears on her face. My dog snores loudly on the love seat, and I sit at the kitchen table sipping my much-needed coffee after a long night of feedings.
At the moment, my boobs feel slightly full, and I’d rather live with the fullness and pump than wake my daughter, who just fed not even an hour ago. I feel like a milk factory and my boobs are starting to callus, which I guess is a good thing.
I am having trouble accepting my postpartum body still. We, as new moms, push out a tiny human, create this amazing life that can breathe, smile, and make you fall more in love than you ever thought you could, then we flip out when we can’t fit into our jeans three weeks after delivery. We also still have the period of the century — no one talks about that part!
I am falling victim to this. I want to love my body, I do. But, it’s hard seeing it in a new light. It’s hard seeing my once bikini body filled with stretch marks, which I now call battle scars. My work attire now consists of PJ pants, nursing tank tops and a messy bun. I have officially hit the point where if no one’s coming over, I don’t feel like trying to change while juggling a newborn on my shoulder, just to semi look like a normal human.
I have reheated the same cup of coffee three times, leaving it on the counter while I go to nurse on the couch, only for it to be just out of reach, staring back at me as I graciously hold my boob for my baby girl instead. Then, she decides to pop off mid let down and breast milk gets all over me and her.
Days are running together and nights are long. I know finding time to do anything is hard with a newborn, including sleep. But, I have to say, there are a few products and yummy treats I have found in the weeks since having my daughter home that I have to share with you all!
- Target Nursing Tank Tops: Yes, this may sound cliché, but for middle-of-the-night feedings and for when you’re hanging out with a newborn most of the day, these are great. You can whip out your boobs much faster. Plus, they are comfy!
- Burt’s Bees All Natural Baby Shampoo and Body Wash: I love the way it smells and I love that it is all natural, tear-free and safe! No additives! No chemicals.
- Lactation Cookies: OK, so they are a bit expensive to buy, but I got them, and man they are delicious and tasty! I have seen a bump in my milk supply as well. There are also a ton of recipes for lactation cookies out there, if you decide to go that route as well.
- Halo Sleep Sack: So, my daughter does not like to be fully swaddled. She likes her hands free and the Halo Sleep Sack allows her to do that. We struggled with her a little at first with a regular swaddle and this was a nice transition.
- Designs For Health – P.B. Meal Bar: This one is a bit different, but when my day is surrounded by feedings, diaper changes, and soothing a baby, sometimes the thought of feeding myself slips my mind. I love these protein bars. They are filled with a lot of protein, are a wonderful snack.
As the weeks go on, I am sure it will be filled with new experiences, and I already see her growing and getting bigger as the days pass! Moms, I would love for you to chime in — what are your favorite products!?!
Photo: Nisa Burns Cochran