Salsa Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Did you know August is National Sandwich Month? In honor of the holiday, I thought I’d post this recipe for one of my favorite comfort foods — grilled cheese!
Now, restaurants often pair grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. The combination of cheese, bread and tomato just makes sense. So, in that vein, when developing recipes for Kitchenability 101, I decided to try adding salsa to my grilled cheese sandwich to see if the flavors made similar sense. And, they did! It’s seriously good. And you can try a variety of salsas, depending on your mood: mild, medium or spicy!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 slices bread
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 1 Tbsp salsa
- Use ½ Tbsp butter to spread on one side of each bread slice. Place both slices with buttered side down on a plate.
- Put the cheese on top of one slice of bread.
- Top the cheese with the salsa.
- Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread, the buttered side facing up.
- Place the remaining ½ Tbsp of butter in a frying pan (or spray the pan with nonstick spray, if you prefer). Heat pan over medium heat.
- Place the sandwich in the pan and flip after 2 minutes. Cook the other side for another 2 minutes, until the cheese is gooey and the bread is golden brown.
Photo: Patrick Onofre Photography