Kitchenability Blog


Kitchenability Book Tour: Seattle, WA (Day 1)

Chef Nisa Burns at the Broadway Farmer's Market in Seattle, WAYesterday was the first full day of the Seattle, WA portion of the Kitchenability Book Tour. And, in typical Seattle fashion, the weather was rainy, cold and 34 degrees. But, the weather sure doesn’t slow this town down!

I decided to dress in several layers and my typical uniform, my chef’s coat, had to take a backseat during my 4-hour event at the Broadway Farmer’s Market.

The farmer’s market event was great. All of the produce for the cooking demos was donated by the vendors at the market itself.Broadway Farmer's Market Thank Yous Which means I have a lot of THANK YOU shout-outs to share: Willie’s Greens (salad mix), Collins Family Orchard (pears + apples), Alvarez Farms (shallots & garlic), Local Roots (parsley) and Tieton Farm & Creamery (goat cheese). Walking through the farmers market was like going down Rodeo Drive for me — it’s such a rush and I just love seeing super fresh produce!!!

The event went well, we sold some books, we gave out a lot of samples of the salad I made, and we spread the word about Kitchenability to throngs of farmer’s market goers. People loved the salad and my homemade salad dressing.

After the event, an old friend of my grandfather’s stopped by. Wow — uncanny right? He and his wife were kind enough to take us around town for a little and drove us down by the Fisherman’s Wharf to see all of the sailboats. We also stopped at an art studio where a few artists were showing off their artwork. It was rainy and cold, but we enjoyed every moment. (Layers matter in this town, lol).

Chinooks Restaurant, Seattle, WAFor dinner, we all decided on a restaurant called Chinooks. It was pretty tasty. I enjoyed the company and the stories he told about my grandfather and him. He said he was incredibly proud of me and also said: “If your grandfather could see you now!” My grandfather was a great entrepreneur and started his business from the ground up. I think he’d be proud, too.

After a restful evening, I crawled into bed early and started thinking about the next day’s events!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *