Hospital Bag Checklist for You and Baby
We are officially a month out from meeting our baby girl. I mean, she could come early, but my due date is about a month away, and with that, it’s time to pack a hospital bag.
I have started to compile a few things and have Eleanor’s bag ready, along with my own. I have done a little research, and have asked a lot of mommy friends about the best things to bring when delivery day hits. Here is what I have come up with. Enjoy!!!
Hospital Bag Checklist
- Insurance info, hospital forms (if yours are not already on file with the hospital)
- Car seat must get installed a few weeks out (we did ours around 35 weeks)
- An outfit for the baby to come home in + 1-2 additional outfits (I went a little over and have about 3 or 4, but it’s up to you)
- Hospital hats. I know they will give you one, but I have a few of my own I would like to bring. Again, to each his own.
- Blanket for baby. For the ride home, we have a nice, soft blanket ready to go.
- 2-3 pairs of warm, nonskid socks and slippers (this is for me). I prefer slippers, since socks feel like they are constricting my feet at this point, but I may bring one pair just in case.
- 2 maternity bras and nursing pads. I packed one maternity bra, and one maternity tank top to switch out. Nursing pads are a must I have heard, so I packed a few disposable ones from Medela.
- Lip balm (hospitals are very dry). A must I have heard about from a few of my mom friends!
- Toiletries and personal items — hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, face wash, makeup, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc…
- Eyeglasses. If you wear them, don’t forget them.
- Ponytail holder. I know I can’t live without them, just like bobby pins! I packed a few in my bag. I know I will want my hair out of my face.
- Lots of change for the vending machines and snacks. I never would have thought of this, but it’s such a great suggestion! I packed a few dollars in quarters in a small Ziploc.
- Cell phone and charger, and phone numbers of people to call after birth. In the moment, things may get crazy, so having a list of the exact people to call is better than having a TON of people just showing up.
- Camera, and camera battery (other than your phone, if you have one)
- Change of clothes and basic overnight bag for husband. He will be sleeping there too, so make sure he has a little bag packed.
- Extra pillow for husband and you.
- Disposable underwear/ underwear you don’t mind ruining. I have heard this is a must! Loose fitting, almost granny-like panties that are soft. You go through a lot when the day comes, or so my mom friends have warned me. So a good soft pair is a must. I have heard they will give you disposable ones at the hospital, but bring a few comfy, soft pairs as well.
What was on your hospital bag checklist? Anything you think I missed? Comment below and let me know.
Source of help from The Bump: Checklist: Packing a Hospital Bag
Photo: Nisa Burns Cochran