Comfort Food: Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe
This recipe marries two of my favorite things: macaroni and cheese and bacon.
The bacon really takes this comfort food classic to a whole new level. And you really can’t beat the amazingly decadent flavors created when making your own, homemade cheesy macaroni — complete with lots or butter and breadcrumbs.
- 2 lbs elbow macaroni
- 1 stick butter
- 12 oz bacon
- 3 cups cheese, shredded
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp bacon drippings
- Cook macaroni till al dente (about 10 min), then drain. Rinse macaroni thoroughly, then set aside.
- Cook bacon till crispy, and then chop. Save 2 tsp bacon drippings for your roux. Set aside.
- Place 1 stick of butter and Dijon mustard in a pot on low to medium heat. Mix together well. Cook until butter is fully melted, and then turn off heat and set aside.
- Make the roux by adding flour, milk, and bacon drippings in a sauté pan on low heat. Whisk till everything is mixed together and turns a slightly thick consistency. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Butter a large casserole dish. Place some of the macaroni on the bottom layer of the casserole dish, with a little bit of the Dijon mustard mixture, cheese, roux, and chopped bacon. Then, salt and pepper to taste. Repeat this till the casserole dish is full. Make sure all is mixed together. Top with panko bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
Photo: Nisa Burns Cochran