Dog Treat Recipes: Pumpkin Dog Treats
As many of you know, I have a puppy named Archer.
I like to make homemade dog treats for him from time to time because it’s a way for me to control how they’re made and to make sure they’re as healthy as possible.
For this latest batch, I chose to use pumpkin as the primary ingredient because my vet said pumpkin is great for dogs, especially if they have upset stomachs.
And, as you can tell from the photo, he loves them! Plus, did you know February 23 is National Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day? Amazing!
- 1 cup plain oats
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup corn meal
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 15 oz pumpkin
- 2¼ cups flour
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, add oats, butter and boiling water. Mix and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes until a sticky consistency forms.
- Add in cornmeal, pumpkin, flour and egg. Mix until you get a flaky texture.
- Mix in milk until a nice, smooth, sticky texture forms and everything is incorporated.
- Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Use a cookie cutter shape or a dog bone cookie shape to cut into the mixture.
- Place back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before giving to your dog!
Photo: Nisa Burns Cochran