Gluten-Free Beef Stew Recipe
Are you allergic to or avoiding gluten?
I cooked up this gluten-free beef stew recipe for my friend who has quite a few different food allergies. If you or someone you know has a gluten allergy, give this recipe a try. It’s really easy and quite good!
I originally posted this recipe on my Parade blog, but am reposting it here as well. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs stew meat, cubed
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 quart beef broth, (preferably organic)
- 4 russet potatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp corn starch
- On medium to high heat, sear meat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Once meat is brown, turn on low to medium heat.
- Slice up yellow onions. Sauté them in a separate pan with a little olive oil. Sauté till soft, then add them directly in the pot with the meat.
- Cook onions for 5 to 10 minutes with the meat, then add the gluten-free flour. Mix well while still on medium heat. Deglaze the pot with 1 cup of red wine.
- Add in garlic, parsley, and tarragon. Mix well.
- Add in beef broth and allow to simmer for 45 minutes. When around 25 minutes are left on the timer, add the potatoes.
- After 45 minutes have passed, reduce heat and add an additional 30 minutes to the timer to allow the stew to simmer on low heat. Stir occasionally.
- When done, add a teaspoon of cornstarch to the stew to thicken it up just a little. Serve and enjoy.
Photo: Nisa Burns Cochran