Homemade Guacamole Recipe & Skinny Margaritas
September 16 may have been National Guacamole Day, but November 14 is National Spicy Guacamole Day!
One of my all-time favorite go-to snacks is dipping chips into some fresh, homemade guacamole. And what better to pair with a bowlful of guacamole than a cool margarita. Mmmm…
Step one is to mix yourself the perfect margarita, so you can be sipping on it whilst making the guacamole. This is a very important step!
Personally, I don’t like it when margaritas are overly sweet and drowned in sweet-and-sour mix. I found an amazing margarita mix called “Bare Mixers” that boasts zero calories and all-natural ingredients. So, that’s what I’ve been using lately.
Skinny Margarita Recipe
- 4 oz of Bare Mixers margarita mix
- 4 oz of your choice of tequila (you can make this virgin by leaving this out — it’s still very good)
- 1-2 tsp of passion fruit syrup (alternative: fresh squeezed oranges)
1. Mix all ingredients together, with ice.
2. Serve with salt and a wedge of lime.
Ok, now that you have your low-calorie margarita in hand, it’s time to make the guacamole. Here’s the recipe for my favorite guacamole, which can also be found in my cookbook, Kitchenability 101. Enjoy! (with chips!)
Note: To spice up the guacamole recipe below, why not throw in a diced jalapeno?
- 3 avocados, peeled and pitted
- Juice of 1 medium-sized lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Mash up avocados in a bowl.
- Add lime juice and salt — mix well.
- Add the cilantro, tomatoes and garlic — mix together.
- Serve with chips.
Photo: Patrick Onofre Photography