How to Make Ice Pops: Frozen Smoothie Popsicles
The warm summer months are fast approaching, which means ice pop season is fast approaching.
Nothing quite hits the spot on a hot summer day like a cool, refreshing ice pop. It’s probably partially related to summertime childhood nostalgia, and having a freezer-full of Popsicles and Otter Pops on hand at all times.
But, instead of buying the sugar-filled, brand-name pops, I now like to make my own at home. All you need is an ice pop holder like the one pictured below. You can usually find these at any kind of kitchen wares store, or at most big box stores.
Just blend up your favorite, healthy, fruit-filled smoothie recipe, pour the goodness into your ice pop holders, freeze and voila! You’ve got yourself a cool treat that’s as healthy as you want to make it.
To get you started, here’s the recipe I used to create the pictured pops. Try these or blend up your own concoction and give it a whirl. I’d love to hear about your favorite summer blends!
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk (add more if needed)
- 5 ice cubes
- Extra blueberries or any fresh fruit to add
- Blend all ingredients together. Pour into ice pop holder.
- Add in extra blueberries (or other desired fruit).
- Place in the freezer and freeze for about 5 hours.
Photos: Nisa Burns